I cannot count the number of times I’ve been let down by the miscellaneous adventure packs. Until now, the ultimate adventure pack was Swap Force’s Tower of Time. Meanwhile Sheep Wreck Island and last year’s Midnight Museum were also highlights. The Sea Racing Action Pack is a new standard on which all Action/Adventure Packs should be judged
Before we get to the additional content the game adds, let’s talk about Deep Dive Gill Grunt and Reef Ripper. This is the fourth iteration of Gill Grunt, and seeing him again, I wasn’t particularly excited. Between the metallic variation and the sidekick Gill Runt, who needs a seventh Gill Grunt?
Well I’m happy to report that Deep Dive Gill Grunt is wildly different from his previous incarnations. Deep Dive Gill Grunt emphasizes trident attacks and his ability to levitate off the grand via a wave. Both of these are viable attacks. The trident attack is one of the fastest attacks in the game.. Meanwhile, his wave levitation not only deals a lot of damage, but it gives Gill Grunt excellent maneuverability. It’s nice to see a Skylander who can close the gap between himself and enemies with both speed and sufficiency.
As for his talent skill trees, Deep Dive Gill Grunt is another huge win. I actually had a hard time making a decision about which path to follow. In one instance, Storm Summoner making his trident more powerful by fusing it with lightning. That said, Torrent Tamer gives his wave more range and damage. Both skill trees are amazing, but no matter which skill tree you choose, the subsequent damage and viability is a massive boon that’s hard to compare. This is the best Gill Grunt has ever been, and he is now one of the top tier water Skylanders in the game.
As for Reef Ripper, it’s a viable water craft with excellent mods. Its singular attack is decent, but nothing to write home about; however, the area of effect damage attack is pretty spectacular. In 360 degree water sections, Reef Ripper is devastating. It fends of enemies with ease, while in racing mode, it shines when enemies cluster around you.
As for his Supercharger Mission, you’ll enjoy this tough mission of trying to catch fish. As players race around the Golden Temple, they have to acquire fish of different values. While it’s easy to score the 1 and 2 star victories, most players will have a tough time getting that elusive third star (100k points). It’s one of the best missions from what players have seen so far.
With all that in mind, I cannot emphasize enough how amazing these two figurines look. Gill Grunt is the first Skylander, in series history, to make his base a part of the figurine. It’s one of the smartest and coolest designs ever conceived. But that’s nothing when compared to Reef Ripper.
Reef Ripper is a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Captain Nemo inspired vehicle. You need to hold his figurine to appreciate its quality. Aesthetically, it’s gorgeous. But the swivel in the tale, the colors and the drill embellishments all stand out. This is Skylanders crowning achievement in design. Both Gill Grunt and Reef Ripper are a benchmark on which all subsequent Skylander figurines shall be judged. It’s an extraordinary achievement.
The Additional Content
Unlike previous Skylander Adventure Packs which added in more content with levels, this time the Sea Racing Action Pack adds additional racing levels. The two additional levels are Tropic Plunder and The Golden Temple.
Tropic Plunder has players flying over volcanoes and diving under pirate ships, while the Golden Tower has players getting significant air time with frequent jumps and boosts. I love the additional levels, and while they’re not worth the price alone, they’re another excellent reason why the Sea Racing Action Pack is a worthy addition.
If you own Superchargers, buy the Sea Racing Action Pack. It might be the best additional content released to date. From a collector’s standpoint, Skylanders never looked better.
This post originally appeared on my blog TheBookishGamer
GamesCom is well on its way this is the first day of the largest video game convention in Germany. With previous releases we have gotten more updates about the game before it’s released and it looks like the same will happen again this year. Check out the official press release from GamesCom 2015 courtesy of Activision.
Rev your engines! Skylanders®, the #1 kids’ console franchise worldwide is taking to Land, Sea and Air with Skylanders® SuperChargers on September 20 in North America. Skylanders SuperChargers expands upon the franchise’s signature gameplay to introduce vehicles-to-life — an entirely new way for fans to experience the magic of Skylands. For the first time, kids can explore and navigate the mountainous terrains, deep-sea environments and big blue skies of Skylands like never before with amazingly detailed vehicles, many of which feature moving parts that will play in the real world and come to life in the game via the Portal of Power®.
The trailblazing vehicles-to-life innovation of Skylanders SuperChargers is realized when players take helm of powerful, tricked-out land, sea and sky vehicles. Skylanders SuperChargers is an unprecedented high-octane action-adventure video game where fans have the freedom to speed across Skylands’ roads in vehicular combat, race down roaring rapids and engage in aerial dogfights as they barrel roll through enemy swarms.
In addition to vehicle-to-life, Skylanders is packing some major star power with the introduction of two of Nintendo’s iconic characters — Donkey Kong and Bowser — as guest stars in Skylanders SuperChargers. The characters, along with their specially created vehicles will be available exclusively in Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Packs for the Nintendo platforms.
In Skylanders SuperChargers, Kaos’ quest to rule over Skylands reveals his most sinister weapon ever – a massive “Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction” capable of eating the sky itself. Fortunately, a special team of Skylanders known as the SuperChargers has been assembled to pilot an incredible fleet of vehicles with the power to travel through the destruction – over land, sea, and sky!
Skylanders SuperChargers introduces 20 new SuperCharger characters and 20 new vehicles, while also supporting all 300+ Skylanders toys from previous games, enabling any Skylanders character to pilot land, sea or sky-based vehicles.
Additionally, for the first time, players can purchase the digital Portal Owners Pack via connected consoles or for select iPads. They can download the full AAA game and complete the mainline game with Instant Spitfire SuperCharger and Instant Hot Streak vehicle. They can also use a Portal they already own to enjoy the full game experience with physical toys from the new Skylanders SuperChargers along with their existing collections.
- Vehicles-to-Life – For the first time, players can take their Skylanders vehicles straight from the real world into the videogame via the Portal of Power to explore the land, sea and skies of Skylands. The vehicles are aligned by element and terrain type, giving players unique abilities and diverse experiences across different settings throughout the game. Not only are the vehicles playable in-game, but many also have movable parts making the toys fun and playable outside of the game.
- New Heroes – A brand-new class of Skylanders, known as SuperChargers are ready to buckle up and throw down with special in-game abilities that help Portal Masters fight Kaos. For the first time in Skylanders history, two of Nintendo’s iconic characters — Donkey Kong and Bowser — will guest star in Skylanders SuperChargers. These special Skylanders will be playable in both Skylanders SuperChargers and select amiibo-compatible games with a simple twist of the character’s base. Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser will be exclusively playable on the following Nintendo platforms: Wii U, Wii and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.
- Customized Vehicles – In Skylanders SuperChargers, kids explore Skylands like never before by going behind the wheel of powerful, tricked-out vehicles. SuperChargers will have the ability to customize vehicles in-game with super cool modifications and upgradeable weapons. As players travel throughout the game, they can also discover hidden mods such as a volcanic booster engine that spews lava rocks and jet wings with feathers made of gold.
- SuperCharged Combos – For the ultimate gaming experience, players can pair a SuperCharger Skylander with its unique signature vehicle to create a SuperCharged combination, unlocking an exclusive mod that revs up the performance of the vehicle. Turbo Charge Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser’s signature vehicles are available for Nintendo platforms exclusively.
- More Diverse Gameplay – The game delivers a dynamic, story-driven gameplay experience, filled with vehicle-based and on-foot adventure – complete with combat, puzzles, mini games, activities and platforming — all set within a variety of compelling environments. There will be 20 new vehicles toys that fans can play with that feature a variety of designs and types – race cars, motorcycles, boats, tanks, helicopters, jets, submarines and more.
o Land: Stunt, skid, and drift while driving and experiencing high-octane combat
o Sea: Explore underwater seas, race down roaring rapids and ride the surf and waves o Sky: Engage in aerial dogfighting and enjoy freedom of flight with 360 degrees of control.
• Fast-Paced Storyline – Fans can immerse themselves in an all-new, high-velocity adventure that ignites imaginations and fuels excitement as they speed through Skylands like never before.
• Online Multiplayer Gameplay – For the first time in Skylanders history, Skylanders SuperChargers is offering online multiplayer gameplay on console. Whether it’s online co-op play in Adventure Mode or four-player competitive racing, family and friends are sure to have a blast. Voice-chat is available with players on your friends list and with friends of friends to fuel fun competition online.
• Racing Mode – Racing Mode is an all-new way to play, featuring a mix of high-octane, supercharged racing and combat, accentuated by power-ups, boosts, hazards and more. What’s more, Racing Mode is available right out of the box in the Skylanders SuperChargers Starter Pack! There are a total of six race tracks in the Starter Pack for fans to play – two for each terrain type: Land, Sea and Sky. Players can also purchase Racing Action Packs that unlock additional content. A total of three Racing Action Packs, one for each terrain, will be available and include three special toys (a SuperCharger, Vehicle and villain trophy). The villain trophy unlocks two new tracks and new modes, including SuperVillain Cup, Boss Pursuit and Mirror Cup.
• Skylanders SuperChargers Racing for the Wii and 3DS: Fans can augment their SuperCharger experience with a complementary, dedicated racing combat game — Skylanders SuperChargers Racing — for the WiiTM system and Nintendo 3DSTM hand-held system. All-new tracks, augmented with power-ups, boosts, hazards and more, offer up to 50 different and exciting gameplay experiences. On Nintendo 3DS, gamers can go head-to-head with competitive multiplayer via local play or online with up to four players. Iconic Nintendo character BowserTM and his Sky vehicle, Clown Cruiser are available in the Skylanders SuperChargers Racing Starter Packs for Wii and Nintendo 3DS and can also be played on the Wii UTM system. The Supercharged character not only works in Skylanders SuperChargers Racing, but also as amiibo in compatible Nintendo games, so players can store their saved data in both modes with a simple twist of the figure’s base.
IGN posted a video of some gameplay footage sorry guys it’s in German but the gameplay footage looks really good! Check out the video link below. I include some more images of the vehicles, toys, and more in the gallery as well take a look at those at your leisure. Until next time I’ll catch you on the SKYSIDE!
<iframe src=”http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/8/5/gamescom-2015-videoanteprima-skylanders-supercharg-ign-it” width=”468″ height=”263″ scrolling=”no” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>